Apr 20, 2022
After 22 years at ABA, the association’s top lobbyist James
Ballentine will soon retire. In this special episode of the ABA
Banking Journal Podcast — sponsored by IntraFi
Network — Ballentine reflects on lessons learned during
his career in Washington and shares tips both on effective banking
advocacy and on promoting diversity and inclusion in banking. Among
other topics, Ballentine talks about:
- The state of current bank policy issues in Congress like the
SAFE Banking Act and ECORA.
- Behind-the-scenes stories on legislation like Dodd-Frank and S.
- How a legislative loss on a credit union bill 25 years ago
galvanized the banking industry to ramp up its advocacy.
- Why it’s critical for emerging bank leaders to share their
perspectives and experiences with lawmakers.
- How his experience as a former Small Business Administration
staffer helped the industry navigate the Paycheck Protection
- His work as a diversity, equity and inclusion leader both in
Washington and in the industry.