May 18, 2023
story of the latest issue of the ABA Banking
Journal features an unprecedentedly transparent look into
what happens inside a financial institution during and after a
ransomware attack. On the latest episode of the ABA Banking Journal
Podcast — sponsored by Intrafi — Evan Sparks shares the
true story of this anonymized bank and how it tackled what could
have become a crippling ransomware attack. Sparks discusses:
- How hackers got in, the early moments after an attack happens
and how the bank responded.
- The current ransomware threat environment for banks.
- How to execute on a cyber incident playbook and mobilize
partners and vendors.
- Messages and services the bank provided to customers during the
- Fatigue and other challenges facing the bank’s team during the
- Lessons learned and post-mortem changes the bank made to
prevent a future incident.